Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Hand-grown/made things are wonderful

Along with some other gifts, my son presented me with this wonderful-smelling bouquet for my birthday. The roses are from two of the three rose bushes which he and I planted last spring and which he has been faithfully tending all summer. They're growing gangbusters and keep producing the most beautiful flowers:


And my daughter designed and built (with some help from her boyfriend) an herb-drying rack for me. I've already put it to use with some hyssop, parsley, calendula, oregano, lemon balm, thyme, and peppermint :


This is what I've been using, rigged precariously from an old freezer rack. It's done the trick, but space has always been a problem:


Now, with this new rack, I have loads more space. I hang most of my herbs to dry in the warm, dark garage in the summer. A few I'll pop into a barely-warm oven, but most recieve the hanging treatment:

What a great day I had. It was made even more special knowing that my kids (who are both no longer 'kids', but young adults) are so thoughtful.

5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Lovely gifts! The drying herbs are so pretty I'd be tempted to bring them inside.

ICQB said...

Hi adrienne!

The herbs smell good, too. Especially if I'm drying lavender. I always wish there was a room dark and warm enough inside that would let me enjoy the herbs as they dried.

Jackie said...

Very nice drying rack! I have strung twine from the ceiling in my bathroom and put the dehumidifier in to speed things up. Works great, but not nearly as pretty!

ICQB said...

Hi jackie!

Putting a dehumidifier in the bathroom with drying herbs is a terrific idea. I'll have to keep it in mind if I ever find myself running out of room on the rack!

Harlene said...

Hello jackie ! Usually i was using dehumidifier to dry up the herbs but it seems its not a good idea, i should be using your method !