Thursday, May 28, 2009

Beekeeping

There is an early 1800's farmhouse and barn nearby. I walk by it every day. A foundation owns it which gives tours and raises money to help with restoration and upkeep. They also have a nice little herb garden, grow grapes, and have recently added a larger, kitchen garden and a few fruit trees.

And now I've noticed a beehive out by the fruit trees. It doesn't appear to have any bees in it yet, but I think it's very exciting. If the little farmhouse foundation starts keeping bees, it'll be a treat to watch the process.

I'm a fan of the Birdchick Blog, where you can learn all sorts of interesting things about birds and hear of her exploits now and then as beekeeper for author Neil Gaiman's bees.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

My brother recently told me he's babysitting some bees for a friend this summer...
I think that's one process I'd rather hear about than experience first hand.

ICQB said...

Hi adrienne!

I know - I love the idea, but...