Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Gone to the birds

Robins really do have beautiful songs. I don't know why they're not praised more highly. I can hear one singing through my open window right now.

And I can see why Woody Woodpecker was given that laugh. A woodpecker often stops in the trees in my backyard for a laugh. Sometimes my daughter and I laugh back and we get a conversation going.

And red-winged blackbirds? What's not to love there? A lot of them nest in the cattail area in the park next door and often drop by our birdfeeder for a snack. It makes me feel special when they do, I mean, how many people out there attract red-winged blackbirds to their feeders? You have to live in just the right spot.

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

I miss robins. I hardly ever see them around here, and they were so common where I grew up.

My bird imitates the house finches - very cheery in the morning!

ICQB said...

Hi adrienne!

I'm all for cheeriness in the mornings - but please, not before I've had my coffee : )

jo said...

Sorry you had the sad upheaval of the helicopter incident so close by. Post retracted? And the smoking notices that didn't do much. So true.

We have Robins. The titchy Englsih ones. But they don't really sing. more an alarm sound. I love the way they sit on the spade handle as soon as your back is turned.

ICQB said...

Hi Jo!

I've been messing around with the blog lately, and those posts got tossed.

Our robins have a lusty song that's a delight to hear. I never really noticed it until recently. Maybe I heard it before, but never attributed such a song to the common robin. Sometimes it takes a while for me to catch on :-)