Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Crabapple Harvest

My daughter and I went to collect some crabapples the other day. Along the way we saw some interesting things. Like this butterfly:


The photo above is mine, the one below is my daughter's. She always takes the time to get the really good shots:



Is it any wonder that I've had several cases of poison ivy this past summer with the plants around here sporting leaves like this?:



There was a funny fungus growing on an old stump. It reminded me of those candy dots that you get on a strip of paper:


My daughter got a close-up shot:



I've never seen such a pretty fungus as this before, it reminds me of a chrysanthemum:



We came across an outdoor cafeteria. The hulls of hickory nuts were left on top of logs:



And stones where they had been eaten by some hungry critter:



They don't call them shagbark hickory for nothing:


Someone left behind muddy handprints. I don't know if it was a raccoon or a skunk:


Strider was eager to keep moving:

Reminding me of this poem:
The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
Tolkien

4 comments:

Lisa said...

You and your craze for crabapple! :)

And what a discovery! Awesome pictures. Your post fits the season.

ICQB said...

Hi Ocean Girl!

You would have a craze too if you tasted the jelly!

And thank you for the picture compliments!

joco said...

What a lovely outing, and finding such unusual items along the way. That red growth seems to be glowing. Is it still there or was it an alien?
Another wondererful verif. word: "prelism"

ICQB said...

Hi Jo!

I guess the red growth is still there, but I don't know for sure. I haven't been back to that spot since.

Sometimes those verification words are a hoot, and sometimes they're philisophical.