Tuesday, October 27, 2009

In search of the Great Pumpkin

Even though my kids are in college, we still like to go out to a pumpkin patch to find our Halloween pumpkins:


We drove way out into the country and found a nice patch where pumpkins of all shapes,:


textures,:


ripeness,:

and configurations, could be found:


And there were plenty to choose from. If you couldn't find your pumpkin in one field, there were other fields off in the distance to scour:


We saw the Great Pumpkin rise out of the pumpkin patch!:


I found the perfect squash!:


I had a hand carrying it back:


When we had each found a perfect specimen, we hauled our pumpkin loot back to the barn:

Where there were pumpkin horses pulling carts loaded with you-know-what:

As we drove away, they seemed to say, "Bye! Come back next year!":

Now comes the hard part - deciding how to carve our Jack-O'Lanterns!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy Halloween IQCB. I just learned that crabapple is the only apple native to North America. Guess who did I think of when I read that?!

I like your pumpkin synopsis.

ricki - sprig to twig said...

My favorite pumpkin-gathering expedition was when I took my son and his best friend to the local patch. I told them that they could get any pumpkin that they could get to the car. Enterprising young things that they were, they found a guy with a tractor who agreed to haul a GIANT pumpkin to where we were parked, and even fork-lift it into the trunk.

ICQB said...

Hi Ocean Girl!

I did not know that tidy little fact about crab apples. I love learning things through blogging! Thanks!

ICQB said...

Hi ricki!

That is just too good of a story to keep to yourself - write it up as a personal essay, and sometime next summer send it off to various magazines to see if one would like to publish it in their October issue.

Thanks for the story!