Thursday, May 1, 2008

Garden Primer

I was excited to see that a second edition of The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch is out. It's come out on the 20th anniversary of the first addition - and this one's all organic!

I have the first addition, which I got (yes) 20 years ago. That book, along with Joy of Gardening by Dick Raymond helped put food on my little family's table when hubby was a grad student and we had two tiny children at home.

Between the two books I learned things like to use alfalfa kitty litter in the garden as fertilizer (can't find alfalfa kitty litter these days, though), and which plants will replenish the soil when it comes time to turn them under, and plants ideal for a winter garden (at the time I lived in New Mexico, so a winter garden was a real option).

I grew things like peas, sugar peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, corn, kohlrabi, zucchini, tomatoes, watermelons, and pumpkins. Pumpkins were my favorite. They stored well and I learned how to make pumpkin pie from real pumpkins (and we even grew some for jack-o-lanterns!).

I can't wait to pick up the new Garden Primer. I think I'll drop some hints for Mother's Day!

No comments: