Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Goin' a Hoein'

I've been trying to reclaim a back corner of my yard over the past few days. It had gone totally wild after having been left to its own natural instincts for too long. I have grand plans for that little corner of my world, but unfortunately a lot of sweat and sore muscles will be involved in getting there.

My reclamation tools: 1 hoe, 1 shovel, 1 pair of work gloves, 1 lawn mower, 1 (manual) branch trimmer thingy

I have a couple of pictures, including before and after pictures, although the project isn't done yet, not by a long shot.

Before:



After:


There are three rather large anthills back there. I don't really want to get rid of them. I'm not really sure I could without using some super dooper chemicals. What I have done so far is I have left a fringe of vegetation (mostly little wild dog violets) around the anthills and I am letting them be for now. Below is one of the anthills with its fringe of violets. The violets have just finished blooming, so it's just the greenery and no pretty little purple flowers.





I also left one patch of tall grass. My dog likes to eat it. I call it doggy grass.


Here is my dog with one of my cats:



There was an old, rotten stump back there too which, once I had uncovered it sufficiently, my husband took a maul to. He had lots of fun destroying the stump - and left the clean-up to me.


I still need to take care of it.

I think that next on the agenda is renting a rototiller.

No comments: