Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Art of Racing in the Rain


I just finished a book last night that had me sobbing at the end. Actually it had me fighting back tears at the beginning too. The first and the last chapters are doozies. But I highly recommend it.

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Buy it. Check it out from the library. But read it.

I first read about it on a literary agent's blog before it came out. I immediately put a hold on it at my library and was the first to get it when it came in. Here's what Jenn Risko from Shelf Awareness (a website about the book trade), is quoted as saying on the blog of Janet Reid (litereary agent):

"It's a compelling story told from a dog's point of view. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein is told from the point of view of a dog named Enzo who aspires to be a racecar driver like his owner, Denny. The TV is left on during the day while Enzo's owner is working, so he's learned a lot about the world. (He's often quite miffed at not possessing opposable thumbs.) Through Enzo, we learn the story of how his master fell in love with his wife, Eve, the addition of their daughter Zoey, and how it all tragically unraveled. Have a box of Kleenex near."

For a little insight into the publishing world and a bit of the journey this book took to getting published, click on this link to a post on Janet Reid's blog.




No comments: