Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Of herbs and things

Here are some of the things I've been able to put away over the past few months. They are herbs, medicinal and culinary, that I've either grown in my garden or wildharvested:

Also pictured are some infused oils I've made with some of the herbs and some tins of various salves I've made with the oils.

This past summer was my first attempt at a medicinal herb garden. Next year I will expand the varieties a bit, but this year I tended in my garden:

Calendula
Elecampane
Evening Primrose
Holy Basil
Sage (S. officinalis)
Hyssop
St. John's Wort
Lavender, Hidcote and Munstead varieties
Yarrow

The things I gathered from the wild include:

Yarrow
Goldenrod
Elecampane
Crampbark
Lemon Balm
Elderberry blossoms
Plantain
Violets (probably dogtooth) - Edit: that's dog violet not dogtooth violet : )
Blackberry leaves
Raspberry leaves

The culinary herbs included:

English Thyme
Sage
Pineapple Sage
Corinthian Mint
Pesto Basil
Genovese Basil

And now I will plan my garden for next year.

4 comments:

joco said...

That is a summer well spent.
I bet you feel just a tiny bit smug:-) and deservedly so. What an array.

Seeing that table on your enlarged photo is almost like being there for a visit.
Not sure about your dogtooth violet. That sounds like a trout lily. Viola canina is what you mean?

Come by and try solve my puzzle. I'm sure you can.

Adrienne said...

That's an impressive collection, and they all look so pretty in those jars.

Aside from knowing which herbs make me feel better just by smelling them, I know very little about their medicinal uses.

ICQB said...

Hi Jo!

You are absolutely right - the tooth just snuck in there : ) I was indeed thinking of Viola canina.

I will pop over to see if I can tackle your puzzle. Been busy with the Thanksgiving Holidy, and swine flu in the house.

ICQB said...

Hi adrienne!

Just knowing which herbs make you feel better just by smelling them is medicine enough!

I've recently learned about an native grass species here called vanilla grass - I'd love to smell that!