Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Colorful Crab Apple Jelly

Yesterday my daughter and I went on a hike to harvest crab apples from a couple of wild crab apple trees my husband and I had come across a few days earlier. You can read about our adventure here.

Today I turned the crab apples into jelly. Here is a large bowl of crab apples, sorted, washed, and ready for chopping:


The blossom and stem ends were cut off and the apples chopped up. The pieces were boiled with water to extract the juice. The juice was strained, sugar was added, the mixture was boiled and magically turned into jelly:

This picture is a little blurry, but it shows the beautiful color of the jelly:


One jar didn't fill all the way, so that's in the fridge. (I've already had some toast & jelly =^..^= Crab apple jelly is my favorite!). The rest will become holiday gifts.

No comments: